Who am I?

Hello, everyone! 

My name's Emma Thrasher. I'm a bookworm, writer, tea addict, and Tolkien fanatic, but most importantly I'm a princess of the King of the universe, the Maker of heaven and earth. I'm writing this because I want my words to bring glory to the kingdom of God, and to bless my brothers and sisters in Christ in any tiny way that I can. 

All this talk about myself has me wondering about identity. If you were asked to describe yourself, maybe in a job interview, what would you say? Your name and age, maybe a couple hobbies. That's what my mind jumped to. Or, in our identity-oriented culture, you might mention your political or socio-economic leanings, or your educational level. And while those are all things that make up who you are, they aren't the core. 

The core of who you are is defined by your worldview. What do you believe about God? What do you believe about man? What about truth? Marriage? Justice? Love? Is there any purpose to life, or are we just randomly generated clumps of matter on a rock that somehow is able to house us? 

Your answers to those questions will define who you are. Everything else is just incidentals. 

For example, I called myself a "bookworm, writer, tea addict, and Tolkien fanatic" up above. Those are things that make up a large part of my personality. But they aren't essential. I like reading books, but what if I lost the abillity to read them? I'd get by. What if my tastes changed away from tea? That's not as important to me as God is. Or what if I had been born in the 1800's, before Tolkien was even born? 

I'd still be the same person. Because my answers to those fundamental questions, my worldview, would have remained rooted in the work God has done in my life. 

I believe that God created the world. I believe that man is fallen, but that God made a way for our salvation by sending His son, Jesus Christ, into the world to be our sacrificial Lamb. I believe in the inerrancy of Scripture as the foundation of truth, and that the purpose of each of our lives is to bring glory to our Creator. 

I'm a Christian, and that's my identity. That's who I am, and by God's grace and mercy, that's not going to change.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Praiseworthy Project - 30 Days of Choosing What's Beautiful

Attributes of God - Omnipotent

Loving People Who Hurt You